The Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology deals with detection and treatment of various orofacial pathologies. It is the first department in which the patients’ complaints are recorded and treatment is planned.
As the name suggests, the department has two aspects that of clinical examination and radiographs (X-ray). The clinical findings need to be collaborated with the X-rays for which the department has a separate X-ray room with proper precaution against radiation hazards.
The department has a well-ventilated illuminated OPD Clinical Room. It has 24 chairs, which are very well connected to water and light. A good well-made dark room is present. A separate sterilization room containing 2 Autoclaves and hot water boiler which helps to maintain sterilized environment necessary for patients, doctors and paramedical staff is available.
The Department is having three IOPA X-ray machines: One digital and two conventional, one CBCT machine and an Extra Oral X-ray machine also. These machines are of great help in getting good radiographs which help in giving proper diagnosis and planning the treatment.
cone beam computed tomography is a new and popular radiographic technique introduced in dentistry with the advantages of 3D imaging. As the imaging has evolved from 2D to 3D, there is better quality of radiograph, accurate information as there is superimposition of certain structures in 2D, in CBCT we can see the structures in all 3 planes like Axial, Coronal, and Sagittal. Images of oral structures can be viewed as small as 150 microns in 3D CBCT.
As on 28th Feb 2019-
Total number of Patients Treated (2019 onwards): 90,535 (Males: 68,703, Females: 21,832)
Research Papers Published by Faculty Members: 50
Conferences/CDEs attended by Faculty Members: 87
Scientific Papers Presented by Faculty Members: 15
CDE conducted by the Department: 01
Diagnosis and management:
- Infectious oro-facial and dental diseases
- Odontogenic pain
- Orofacial pain like neuralgias, Myofacial Pain Disfunction Syndrome (MPDS)
- Developmental disorders of orofacial region
- Ulcerative, vesiculobullous and potentially malignant lesions of the oral cavity
- Oral cancer
- Salivary gland pathologies and xerostomia
- Trauma of oro-facial region
- Burning mouth and taste disorders
- Oral manifestations of various Syndromes, psychosomatic disorders and blood diathesis
Imaging services (Conventional and Digital):
- Intra-oral periapical radiographs
- Bitewing radiographs
- Occlusal radiographs
- Panoramic radiographs
- Skull views
- TMJ projections
- Extra-oral radiographs
Other diagnostics and treatment procedure available:
- Biopsy, Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) therapy for TMJ disorder
- Intralesional injections for OSMF patients