Department of Pedodontics & Preventive Dentistry
Paediatric and preventive dentistry is a subject that deals with the care and treatment of children’s teeth. It is thus, an age-defined specialty. It deals with comprehensive, interceptive oral health in children right from childhood to adolescent age particularly and complete health in general.
Our department is of the firm belief that “EVERY CHILD HAS A FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT TO TOTAL ORAL HEALTH” and strives towards achieving this end.
Our department has specialized doctors and they work as a team to counsel the child as well as their parents to create awareness through oral examination, accurate diagnosis and effective treatment supported by preventive measures, emotional guidance with dental services are provided most efficiently and pleasantly. Behavior management of a child on a dental chair is the priority of all dental procedures.
Our department is not limited to the counseling of parents and their child regarding diet but also provides prevention and management of dental caries, pediatric endodontics, management of traumatic injuries of teeth, preventive and interceptive orthodontics, cosmetic dental treatment using the latest technology, managing gingival and periodontal diseases in infants, children, and adolescents including those with special health care needs.
Special treatment is provided for physically and mentally challenged children for which isolation rooms prove to be an excellent aid for the peaceful treatment procedure.
To carry out the sterilization process most effectively and efficiently advanced autoclaves, ultrasonic cleaners, needle destroyers, glass bead sterilizers and fumigators are used routinely to disinfect and achieve maximum safety.
The most advanced clinical equipment is present in our department to help the doctors and staff to treat the child with various diseases in less time and more effectively and efficiently. Equipment like magnifying loops, RVG, intraoral cameras, ultrasonic scalers, light cure devices, amalgamators, rubber dam isolation kit, newer bleaching agents, etc.
Our department have laboratories with all the equipment necessary to carry out heavy-duty procedures like automatic developer, model trimmers, heavy-duty micromotors with handpieces, different types of burs, polishing and trimming equipment, vibrators, soldering kits, solder, welder, plaster dispenser, acrylizer have made the department self-sufficient for all type of laboratory works.
Our department interiors include attractive and animated wall paintings, toys, posters, audio-visual facilities like television, cartoon DVD’s, rhymings, etc, music system, charts, for self-learning, patient education album includes explaining about treatment procedures. Objects of interest for all ages of children create an optimistic ambiance. Seminar rooms and museums are provided for imparting clinical education to students.
Apart from regular outpatient consultations, the department also conducts school dental health camps providing comprehensive treatment to school children from different schools. We also conduct dental health camps for institutionalized special children and medically compromised children.
Our team is devoted to providing the premier quality of dental treatment to infants, children, adolescents and specially challenged children. The combined efforts of all staff members have made the department a child-friendly dental home. We here work towards making dental treatment enjoyable, safe, and comfortable.
- To provide comprehensive, cost-effective, and quality paediatric dental care through the safe and ethical practice of medicine.
- Prevention of disease and promotion of healthy lifestyles for all children.
- Educating dental professionals and the community and advancing knowledge through innovative research.
- Develop leaders in child dental health for today and the future.
- Advocacy for vulnerable populations by building long-term relationships based on mutual trust and respect.
- We strive for – quality, integrity, compassion and teamwork – basic guiding principles that form the foundation of paediatric and preventive dental care
- We aim to ensure that each child receives individual attention and is treated with care and gentleness as if they are our very own.
- To create a healthy smile on every child and their parent’s faces.
Total Number of Patients visited to department in last 10 years (2012-2022) – 69224
Total Number of patients treated in last 10 years (2012-2022) – 67909 (Males-38032 and Females-29877)
Five main procedures in last 10 year (2012-2022)
- Pulpectomy- 7520
- Space Maintainers- 1480
- Crowns- 12457
- Apexogenesis & Apexification- 1632
- Interceptive Orthodontics- 2452
Special Cases in last 10 Years (2012-2022): Minor*- 542 & Major*-202
*(Minor cases- procedure under laser, fixed interceptive orthodontics, minor surgical procedures, and other rare & special cases. Major cases- cases under GA)
Research papers published by faculty members- 101
Conferences / CDEs attended by faculty members – 52
Scientific papers presented by the faculty members – 25
Scientific papers presented by the PG students – 147
CDE conducted by the Department – 4
Achievements of faculty members- 62
Achievements of PG students- 18
Outpatients department (OPD) services:
- Diagnosis about the chief complaint of the patient.
- Behavior modification and behaviour guidance.
- Radiographic examination
- Counseling regarding oral health, diet, and nutrition.
- Demonstration of brushing technique.
- Demonstration of various home oral health care methods.
- Age-specific oral hygiene instructions.
Caries preventive measures:
- Oral prophylaxis.
- Topical fluoride application
- Pit and fissure sealant application
- Atraumatic restorative procedure / chemomechanical caries removal procedure
- Application of remineralizing agents.
Preventive and interceptive orthodontic treatments:
- Habit-breaking appliances.
- Appliances for minor orthodontic corrections.
- Space maintainers
- Space regainers
- GIC restorations
- Composite resin restoration
- Miracle mix restoration
- Silver amalgam restorations
- Strip crowns
- Preformed stainless steel crown
- Ceramic crown
- Metal ceramic crown
- Cast metal crown
- Zirconia crown
Cosmetic dentistry / aesthetic dentistry:
- Anterior aesthetic crowns
- Pulp capping procedures
- Pulpotomy and pulpectomy
- Apexogenesis and apexification
- Revascularization and regeneration
- Root canal treatment (RCT)
- Omega Post and core
- Metal post and core
- Fiber-reinforced post and core
- Custom made post and core
- Excision of soft tissue lesions like mucocele, granuloma, and surgical exposure of teeth
- Cyst enucleation and marsupialization
LASER Paediatric Dentistry Procedures
- Laser Pulpotomy
- Laser Pulpectomy
- Laser Crown lengthening
- Laser Frenectomy
- Laser Minor Surgical Procedure
- Management of special child
- Full mouth rehabilitation
- Emergency management of traumatic injuries to teeth
- Laser Pediatric Dentistry
- Rotary Pediatric Endodontics
- Digital Radiography
- Advanced Pharmacological & Non Pharmacological Behaviour Management